Chocolate Chip Quinoa Trail Mix Balls
makes about 14 bite-sized balls
- 1 cup old fashioned or quick-cooking oats, dry
- 1/4 cup quinoa, dry + 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/3 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup dried cherries, raisins or cranberries
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- Combine the quinoa and water in a small saucepot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 12 minutes, until quinoa has absorbed all the liquid. Fluff and scoop quinoa into a large mixing bowl.
- Add sunflower seeds, oats, dried cherries and coconut to quinoa and mix well. Bring honey to a simmer on the stove then stir in the vanilla extract and pour on top of nuts and seeds. Mix until well combined.
- Let mixture cool before adding the chocolate chips, peanut butter and sea salt. Mix well with your hands so the peanut butter is evenly dispersed but be careful not to melt the chocolate chips!
- Using wet hands, gently roll mixture into golf ball-sized balls. Place balls on a plate and chill for at least two hours until firm.
2 1/2 hours (includes time to chill)